Sunday, August 23, 2009

WaFaRa...

...aka Washington Family Ranch, aka "The Ranch", aka Wildhorse Canyon. Camp this year was great as expected. My cabin consisted of six campers, two student leaders and Ashley and myself. It was small, but I really loved that. It gave me the chance to get the know all of the girls and spend some quality time with all of them. Out of the ten of us in our cabin, five were already believers. By the end of the week, three of the other five accepted Christ, with one of the other girls thinking about things. It was so exciting to be a part of the process with these girls!! It's always amazing to me to see God transform lives and work on the hearts of his children.
This years activities included all the normal things, the swing, the ropes course, the ridge runners and the (stupid) bikes. I successfully survived all of them, although it was a bit touch and go with a couple of them!! I almost passed out three, yes that's right THREE, times on the bikes. We did a couple mile ride around the perimeter of camp but it was SO hot that I just couldn't handle it. Luckily Ryan was there around the place that I hit the grass and flung my head between my knees. He gallantly rode my bike back for me. Atta boy Ry! :) After about twenty minutes I was able to make it back to my cabin and regroup. Yikes. The ropes course sent about 300 jolts of anxiety through my entire being about every other second. I did finish in about 20 minutes, thanks to me yelling at Ashley that I was going to die and her encouraging words of "Oh Becs, you'll be fine." Luckily she was right! I also made the summer staff guy talk to me for the last three obstacles so that I wouldn't vomit all of the people on the ground watching. I think I said it best when I landed on the ground and exclaimed, "Yeah!! Only 365 days until the next time!!" Hopefully the nightmares don't start quite as early this year. Seriously.
The highlight of the week was definitely when I got the old Swine Flu. Oh don't worry, you heard me right. I walked in healthy as a horse and left feeling as though I'd been trampled by one. I caught it the last full day, which was good. My fever was 102+ and I had this insanely crazy cough. After about four days of sleep I was healed, althoug the cough is still occasionally hanging on, a month later. Blech. Dang those pigs.
Thanks to all for your prayers! It was a great, hot, exhausting, rewarding week.

My cabin of girls before we conquered the dreaded ropes course

Me on my way down. Good angle, don't you think??

Here I am with Olivia, Celeste and Mallory, the three girls that met Jesus at camp!

Here is the view of the mountains from the pool. This was during the pool olympics and those are my girls at the edge of the pool.

My cabin during the volleyball tournament. I played. And scored. I know--A MIRACLE!

This was all of the people from DDHS on the final night. We do a nice dress up dinner and have an amazing meal. I was infected with the swine so don't mind my nastiness.

We hiked up to the top of Communication Hill for the sunrise on friday morning.

We were cowgirls on our theme night. They had a show, a carnival and sqare dancing, followed by a fireworks show. It was so fun!! Our program team was from Tennessee and they were AWESOME!!!! They were the best everybody had ever seen. It was so cool to experience that.

This is my table at dinner on theme night. I love these kids!

No comments: