Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wildhorse Canyon-The Happiest Place on Earth

This last week I, along with five other leaders, took 35 students from Young Life to Wildhorse Canyon for summer camp. All year long we've been pumping up camp, telling students that it will be the best week of their lives. I had high expectations for the week, knowing that God was going to do some really cool things. At the same time, it never crossed my mind that this could be one of the best weeks of my life. I've had the fortunate experience to travel a lot and have been on some AMAZING mission trips. I never really viewed this week as a mission trip; until we went that is. This week was defintely in my top five best weeks of all time. Almost all of our kids come from unstable homes, many not living with two parents, if any at all. They have been taught that they can't trust people because nobody has ever been there for them. They have been through things in their short lives that I wish nobody ever had to experience. Many came in with their defenses up, their protective wall of "toughness" up and on guard at all times. We were fortunate enough to have some sort of a relationship with most of the kids, so the walls that they had built were already lowered to an extent, although still definitely present. Young Life is very intentional about the activities that they plan, when we do certain things, the way that we eat, the speakers that they bring in and the volunteers that they have. They want the kids to experience Jesus all day and night, from every aspect. The first night all of our kids were blown away that we all sat at tables of eight together and were served food by volunteers their own age. Many of them have never had a family-style dinner. I was able to see the kids blossom throughout the week, open up more and more and begin to let their walls drop. By the end of the week we were able to see eight out of 16 boys start a relationship with Christ, seven out of 14 girls start a relationship with Christ, many re-dedicate their lives and each one change their mind about Jesus in one way or another. All of those who had done this camp before said that it was by far the best week they had ever had at Wildhorse. We asked God for a miracle and he came through in a big way! Thank you SO much to all who prayed. This wouldn't have been possible without all of your prayers!!
Ps. To those who care, I survived the mountain bikes (with only one fall...although it was into the middle of a ridiculous bush that thought both of my legs would be a good snack), the ropes course (in the heat of the day and I thought that I would die from heat exhaustion and the fact that I was tight-rope walking a million feet off of the ground), the ridge runners (where I got lapped twice...whatever) and the swing. It was stretching and I was out of my comfort zone A LOT, but I loved it!!

















3 comments:

M*L*E said...

I am glad that you had fun! Although I am glad that you are back too. It was so quiet at the house.

David and Zoe said...

I am so proud of all your extreme adventuring...of course, as well as your extreme heart for God in all of it. Thank you for trusting God and for giving yourself for these kids, they need you and appreciate your hard work, even when it feels tough and time consuming at times. :) Love you!

The Medina Heins' said...

Becks...you're awesome! What a fabulous experience!! Isn't it funny how God's timing is perfect how how His plans unfold? He's pretty awesome too ;-)

LOVE YOU!